Understand How to Clean Laminate FurnitureGeneral cleaning can increase the lifespan of laminate furniture remarkably. Simple things like scrubbing tough stains, wiping grease, and blowing away dust will keep your laminate furniture looking beautiful longer. Apart from immediate spot cleaning whenever you spill something on the furniture, you can create a weekly routine for cleaning your laminates. Twice or thrice a week should do the trick.
How to Clean & Maintain Laminate SurfacesHere are three ways on how to clean laminate furniture:
Clean the surface using water
- Mix water with mild soap
- Rinse the surface
- Dry the furniture
DustingRegularly dust your laminates with a soft piece of cloth. If it’s a laminate floor, use a vacuum cleaner to remove dust. Dusting at least thrice a week is advisable for laminates that are not so much exposed to dust. Laminate floors should be dusted daily, especially where there is heavy foot traffic. Use a soft-bristled broom to dust the floor.
ScrubbingGrease and oil stains are often stubborn when left to dry on a laminate surface. Cleaning using a damp cloth or dusting cannot remove such stains effectively. You have to scrub the surface using a brush. But you should be careful with the kind of brush you use. Hard scrubbers may leave scratches on the surface, making it dull and easy for spills to stick.Here is how to remove stubborn stains by scrubbing:
- Mix baking soda with vinegar. A tablespoon of each will do. Add a little water to make a thick cream.
- Use a damp lint-free cloth to apply the solution directly on the stains. Allow it 5 minutes to react with the stains. Then use a soft-bristled brush to scrub the stains until they come out.
- Rinse the spot with warm water. Be sure to wipe all places you applied the solution.
- No water should be left on the surface. So, use a dry towel or soft cloth to dry the surface.
- Don’t expose your laminate furniture to sunlight to dry them. Prolonged exposure to direct sunlight causes fading.
- Don’t use abrasives to clean your laminate furniture. They will leave scratches on the surface and make it easy for spills to soak into your furniture.
- Laminates warp when exposed to excess moisture. Always find a proper way to rid your laminates of excess water. We advise using a dry soft lint-free towel.
- Don’t be tempted to use a bleaching agent or other strong cleaning chemicals to remove tough stains from your laminates. You’ll end up with discolored surfaces.